2T Crisco or oil
2T chili powder
1t ground cumin
1 14oz can chicken broth
1 8oz can tomato sauce
1/4t garlic powder
* Heat oil in large saucepan, stir in flour & chili powder. Cook for 1 minute.
* Add remaining ingredients, bring to a boil & simmer for 10 minutes. Will thicken slightly.
3c Enchilada Sauce
2c shredded cooked chicken
1/2c thinly sliced green onion
3/4c shredded cheddar
3/4c shredded Monterey jack
1/4c sour cream
1 4oz can diced green chiles
1/4c chopped cilantro
12 corn tortillas
* Heat oven to 350 and prepare Enchilada Sauce (below)
* In a bowl, combine chicken, green onions, 1/2c cheddar, 1/2c Monterey, sour cream, chiles and cilantro. Add 1/2c Enchilada Sauce. Season with salt and pepper.
* Heat enough oil or Crisco in a large pan to fry the 12 corn tortillas. Fry one at a time for about 10 seconds each just enough to soften. Drain on paper towels.
* Spray a 9×13 with non-stick spray & spread a small amount of sauce on bottom of pan.
* Spread 2 heaping tablespoons of chicken mixture on a tortilla & roll up. Place seam-side down, side by side in the prepared dish.
* Pour remaining sauce over enchiladas, top with remaining cheeses & bake till bubbling, 15-20 minutes.
* Garnish with extra sour cream, sliced green onions & chopped cilantro.
* Triple the recipe and freeze the enchiladas! You might as well since you re at it!
* We like ours with extra sauce. Also, make extra sauce by easily doubling (or more) the recipe. Freeze the sauce & you re one step closer next time you make enchiladas.
* Most of the chicken mixture ingredients are optional. Try variations: cooked, shredded beef; corn, etc.
* Grill the chicken, bake it, poach it, CrockPot it. It’s a great way to use up leftover meats (try pork or beef too!).
* You can buy canned enchilada sauce at the grocery market. It is expensive, IMHO, and contains MSG. It is quicker if you’re in a hurry.
* For quick sides: serve with a can of refried beans (or make your own – they’re so easy!) and a can of corn. We love homemade corn bread with them.
* Instead of making into rolled enchiladas, make a lasagna with the ingredients. It s faster 🙂